Monday, June 18, 2007

Pray for my success!!

NOT. Of all the religious beliefs, prayer is the silliest. How dare you ask an omnipotent, omniscient being to intercede on your behalf. What makes you think s/he is going to change his/her mind just for you. Why do you think s/he needs your thanks. If s/he wanted it to rain, it would have already. While Notre Dame is praying to win, so is Brigham Young. How will s/he decide?

A Jebus kook I used to carpool with told me that god wanted to be asked for things. He thought it was just polite to ask your heavenly father for things, like you would ask your earthly father. As a parent, if one of my kids needed help, I wouldn't necessarily wait for them to ask for help. If they were unconscious in a hospital, I would get them medical attention even if they couldn't ask.

And what's up with the prayer chain idea? My mom is on one. If somebody is sick or in trouble she'll get a call to include them in her prayers. Is it a popularity contest? Just five more prayers and I'll save this baby!!! Why would prayers be more powerful if offered by more than one person. If god is the be all, end all, seems like once would be enough. Again, why do you have to even bring stuff to his attention? He sees even the smallest sparrow fall.

No comments: